November 7th, 2019
Lamb Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Dates
Perfect for rainy days, Anis’ spiced lamb stew is a perfect blend of nourishment and comfort that can be enjoyed with fragrant ghee rice or crusty garlic bread.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 onions, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 lamb shank / 800gm lamb leg without bone, cube
300gm sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
2 tablespoons ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon of chilli flakes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons tomato paste
50gm of dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup coconut milk
4 cups of chicken or beef stock (broth)
2 tbsp of cilantro, coarsely chopped
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of honey
- Heat olive oil in a big pot and sear the lamb, once it’s caramelized and nicely browned, remove from heat and set aside. Add onion into pot and sauté till fragrant.
- Add ground coriander, cumin and cinnamon, sauté till fragrant. Now add tomato paste, chicken or beef stock and the sweet potatoes, and leave to boil for 5 minutes.
- Add lamb, coconut milk, chilli flakes, smoked paprika and dates.
- Let it simmer for 1 and a half hours on a medium heat, while stirring it every 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add honey if it needs sweetening.
- Garnish with cilantro.
If you do make this wonderful pot of deliciousness, post a photo of your meal on Instagram, tag us @eatdrinkdotmy and Anis @anis_nabilah to stand a chance of being featured on EatDrink, as well as win an F&B voucher!