July 3rd, 2022
Recipe for Fudgey Chewy Brownies by KL's Swich Cafe
Swich Café has become synonymous in recent years with KL’s most fascinating cakes, from mangosteen-topped temptations to avocado-laced beauties that lure long lines to the café in Publika every weekend.
This month, Swich founder Lim Cheng Cheng reveals a recipe for her most cherished creation and explains why it holds a special place in her heart. Pair these fudgey-chewy brownies with ice cream for a lovely teatime treat.
Cheng Cheng says:
This was the brownie that started it all for me – my first ever success at baking, and something that friends always ask for and kids just love. I bake them for my son’s school events, they are so easy to do and always a hit with kids. There’s only about 1 teaspoon of sugar per slice of brownie (cut into 16 squares), so it’s not a super-unhealthy treat!
I simplified the recipe so that people can bake this and have yummy brownies under an hour. Basically there are 4 components, and once they are prepared, it’s just a matter of whisking them in. Most people would have these ingredients in their kitchen, especially if they bake often. Use any chocolate, I like the Lindt bars (milk and 70% dark chocolate) for these.
I hope readers will like them!
(A) Melt over bainmarie:
- 380 g chocolate couverture (I usually use a mix of milk and dark chocolate, the better the quality of the chocolate, the better the brownies will taste!)
- 1/2 cup (115g) butter
- 2 tb cocoa powder (optional)
(B) Beat in:
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
(C) Whisk in:
- 3 eggs
(D) Mix and whisk in:
- 3/4 cup (90g) plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Heat oven to 160 degree Celsius.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over hot water bath (Bain Marie). Stir in cocoa powder, if using. Let it cool down a little.
- Beat sugar and vanilla into the chocolate mixture.
- Add eggs into the chocolate mixture and beat until glossy and smooth (about 3 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, whisk, mix or sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Add flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and whisk until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into 9x9x2.5 inch pan and bake for 25 to 35 minutes (depending on your oven). Test for doneness with a thin blade or toothpick, if there are few tiny crumbs on the blade or toothpick, the brownies are done.